Monday, March 5, 2007

I don't see anything like this happening in Europe...

I read something in the newspaper a couple of days ago that really pissed me off.
I don't remember what newspaper it was but, there was an article about how a lot of colleges are making thier entire campuses non-smoking.
That includes outside in the free air.
FREE air.
The dean of one of these school's was quoted as saying "Smokers will still have rights, just not on our campus."
WOAH!
Let's rewind fifty years and try that again:
"NIGGERS will still have rights, just not on our campus."
Anyone else see the problem here?
Now, some people might accuse me of comparing apples to pygmy winged chartruese hippos.
I do not believe that is the case.
Discrimination on the basis of lifestyle choice is just as wrong as discrimination on the basis of race, sex, or religion (which, by the way, is a lifestyle choice.)
Now I don't deny that the failure of many smokers to be considerate of the breathing rights of nonsmokers has, not wronglfully, led to some loss of freedom.
For example, the recent Ohio law which disallows smoking in public buildings.
A law I voted against, not because I believe the principle was wrong, but because I felt that smoking regulation should be the responsibility of privately, publicly, and government owned buildings and companies as individual enteties who act in thier own interests.
The store at which I now work is no longer legally permitted to have, as they used to, a seperate breakroom, with an automatically closing door, for smoking employees.
The rest of the store was smoke free.
Now, employees who smoke must go outside (much farther away from the timeclock, for most) to do so.
Outside, where if it's raining, freezing cold, or uncomfortably hot and humid, all types of weather which are exceedingly common to Ohio, they'll just have to suck it up, or go sit in thier cars.
So much for social interaction.
Previously, we never had any complaints about our smoking policy.
Anyway, there isn't much any one person can do about this, so all that's left is for me to exhort smokers to please be aware and considerate of the rights and space of those around you when you light up.
And non-smokers, please respect our rights and take them into consideration when you vote. Especially when voting for laws which affect more than just a few types of buisnesses which have been slow to catch up with everyone else.

1 comment:

working on my sincerity said...

...that's maybe one of the stupidest ideas ever.
Seriously, if they're going to restrict smoking on campus, they might as well be fair and say no beer or sex or, heck, no cussing or publishing articles on certain religions or gays or...

I really hope that law doesn't pass.