Friday, November 19, 2004

An experiment, we'll see how it goes.

I tried something new. This poem is without rhyme. Although I didn't pay any concious attention to rythm, I know it's in there, because that's how my brain works.
That doesn't mean it's without structure though.

Something About Being Alone
There's something about being alone in an elevator.
A small room, enclosed by four walls, a floor, and a ceiling.
When it's busy, the press of people can be stifling.
But when it's not, this small space seems almost roomy.
In an elevator you know when you are alone.
There are no people with you in the room.
You are isolated by walls joined together.

There's something about being alone in a stairwell.
A small rectangular area, but it goes up and down for a distance.
When it's busy you are forced to move in one direction or the other.
But when it's not, you can stand at any point and look up or down.
In a stairwell you know when you are alone.
There's no sound of feet above or below.
You are isolated by doors on each floor.

There's something about being alone in a field.
A large grassy expanse, that stretches till it hits something.
When it's busy, you can hear and see people at play.
But when it's not it is huge and empty and bare.
In a field you know when you are alone.
There's no one to see in any direction.
You are isolated by space stretching outward.

There's something about being alone in a forest.
A region of limits, each tree is a boundary.
When it's busy the birdsong and noises are pleasant.
But when it's not, the silence can seem rather frightening.
In a forest you know when you are alone.
There's no indication of creatures nearby.
You are isolated by senses that detect nothing.

There's something about being alone in a crowd.
A large enough space to hold many people.
When it's busy, you can hear dozens talking around you.
But when it's not, there's a hush that seems out of place.
In a crowd you know when you are alone.
There's no one with whom you will interact.
You are isolated by your lack of communication.

There's something about being alone.
An area that changes with your surroundings.
When it's busy, you are not alone and must interact.
But when it's not, you can do as you please.
When you are alone, you know that you are alone.
There's no one there but yourself.
You are isolated by your own isolation.



Let me know what you think,
Jens

1 comment:

working on my sincerity said...

Very nice. ^^ That used to be the only way I wrote poetry - without rhyme. Rhyme used to be really tough for me, and rhythm was frustrating, too. You're tempting me to write a poem again without rhyme, or at least find one of my old ones. ^^

But that's not the point of this comment. >> Very nice poem, again. I haven't read one like this in ages, and I like being reintroduced to it. I don't know if that's necessarily your style, though...I don't know where I'm going with this. Later.

---May the spoofs guide you---
Mouse