Friday, September 24, 2004

The Gift Is In Knowing To Look

Took a week off didn't I. I didn't really plan to, I just never got around to writing anything. I had no inspiration, plus I was feeling kind of lazy. On top of that I had school work to do...okay, Enough excuses!
Well, now that that's out of the way...

When was the last time you went outside and looked at the night sky? Admittedly the view is not so spectacular with all the light pollution within city limits. Try driving out to the country sometime. Find a place you can park, maybe just on the side of the road. Then (make sure you're well away from the road) just look up and see what you can see. There are many beautiful sights to see even without a telescope. Find some constellations. There's absolutely no shame in using a seasonal constellation chart, in fact I reccomend it.
I used to look at stars on mornings it was dark enough to see while I waited for the bus. I have fond memories of stargazing. I remember seeing Haley's comet from a field off of a country road. I have a constellation book signed by the author. I met him in Arizon awhile visiting my grandparents. There's a beautiful view out in the middle of the desert, beyond the lights of Tuscan. I've even been to a major observatory in that area.
Just this past summer I was fortunate enough to be in Hawaii. In addition to all the marine wildlife and the beautiful climate, I got to watch the sunset from the top of Mauna Kea, and afterward, I saw the stars from one of the clearest skies on the planet. The milky way is an awesome spectacle when it's that clear. The stars look so different that far south...and even further south, I speent 2 weeks in rural Peru that same summer! That's the last time I remember seeing stars. I never went outside and looked up between getting back and moving into college. And now, I'm in Chicago. There's too much light here, I can't see a thing.
So, take the time, look up. Share the sky with a friend, preferably of the opposite sex. But do look. Who knows when you'll get another chance?

No stars in Chicago,
Jens

Edit: I just want to say thank you to my mom, who taught me to look.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice, Yensil. You really made me remember how lucky I am to live in little rural places. ^^ I'm lucky enough to walk outside, and, if I don't have the porch light on, I can see the sky beautifully...^^ My neighbors tend to keep their own porch-lights off, so...yeah.

I can see by moonlight, and hear owls. I'm sorry I'm this privilaged, Yens. Hope you can see them soon, and remember those times in a sweetly bitter nostalgia once more.

Signing out
Despondent Dreamer