Saturday, September 11, 2004

A Land Called Honalee

I was talking with a friend, somehow the conversation got onto the topic of children's television. And from there, it was bound to happen, someone (me) mentioned Puff the Magic Dragon. Both of us agreed that Puff was definately the best kids cartoon ever (it was a TV movie BTW). Thinking about Puff the Magic Dragon got me started thinking of my childhood. And a glorious childhood it was.

It's funny how something can trigger memories. I remember vaguely a brick apartment that I lived in till I was about 3 years old, I remember almost nothing except a certain memory of one of my parents coming home, I must have been in the crib, the memory is nothing more than a few images in my head, but it is my first memory. I think back now to the last time I looked at pictures of the Arlington apartment. Several of the pictures are of my toys. I had a toy car, the kind that you get inside and run around like in the Flintsones. I there is also a picture of 'Big Dog' A large 'stuffed' dog. The thing about big dog is that he had a wooden frame, and was designed to be sat on, the bottom was curved so that you could rock back and forth. Big Dog's smaller stuffed companion, Puppy Dog, still has a special place on my bed, he is old, but will last a long time longer with good care. Another picture showed our rocking chair, that chair is still with my parents, in the living room of our house.

I remember we moved around a lot when I was young. We lived in a duplex once, and another time we lived in a house that had the best screen porch. I have more memories of those places than I could possibly share here.

I remember coming to Middletown, I wasn't all that scared because I had moved several times before. Nevertheless it was a big step. Lived in Middletown for ten years, the time has just flown by. Now I'm 18, all grown up and going to college. My memories of the past are a joy to look back on. And when something like Puff pops up in a coversation, I can't help but become a bit nostalgic. Well, I'm done rambling about my past. Sorry if this was a boring post.

I have so many fond memories, Is this what growing up is like? I feel so old and I'm only 18,
Jens

No comments: