Monday, September 6, 2004

Rhyme, Rhythm, and Locomotives

That's right, a serious post. There is absolutely no humor here, if you want to be amused, go read one of my earlier posts. This is a story, about a train. This train was once a majestic machine. It carried people from the east coast to the west coat and back. It was one of the great steam engines of the trans-continental railroad. Now the train is obsolete, replaced by cars and aeroplanes. Now it is restricted to being a novelty, or to public transportation in large cities. So what happened to our hero? Some of the great engines are glorified in museums. But not this one, he was left in a junkyard, to rust and decay. I met him in a dream. It was raining, and as I looked up at his once majestic sides I could see the marks of spraypaint graffitti that covered his old faded colors. I couldn't help but reflect on this symbol of fallen pride, of old age, of loss, and loneliness, and obsolescense. In addition I had recently been frustrated at my inability to help a friend. It seemed that my attempts to help were having no affect at all and that I might as well not even try. I have not given up, but I have made no progress either. These were the things going on in my mind when I wrote the following poem. It is rather short, but it is powerful. My only request is this: do not mistake this as a cry for attention, that is not the intent of this poem. Open your eyes. Find another meaning.

A Rhyme, A Rhythm, A Train,
And A Ghost Of What Once Was


A rhyme, a rhythm, a train
A locomotive in the rain
Rusting slowly in the mud
A relic, nothing but a dud

I gaze up at its battered side
Graffitti now, where once was pride
Derailed it sits on useless wheels
Sometimes that's how a poet feels

Does no one listen, no one care?
Does no one see my heart laid bare?
With futile words I try to reach
I try to learn, I try to teach

There is no peace for restless dead
A scribe whose words are never read
I can't help those who need it most
I'm insubstantial as a ghost


I hope it made you think


On a lighter note, I had fun at the Puerto Rican festival, the food was quite good, I don't really feel like going into detail though. Also, I'm all alone tonight, I'm sitting here listening to music, typing in my blog. My roomate is gone for the weekend, and no one else is online. so I'm all by myself. It gives me lots of time to think. I'm going to go work on my website now, I have no Idea how long it will take to get all of my poemson, and duly commented upon...we'll see, but I probably won't be done any time soon

May you dream of trains,
Jens

No comments: